Officer Justin Sollohub officially pronounced dead | Crime
Anniston Police Officer Justin Sollohub has been officially pronounced dead, the Anniston Police Department confirmed around 3:20 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 25.
Like many of the Anniston police officers, Sollohub was a registered organ donor, said Anniston mayor Gene Robinson. It was completely in Sollohub's character to be an organ donor, Robinson said.
Two of Sollohub's organs are already in the process of being donated to help others live. One will be received by a patient at UAB hospital and another is going to a patient who lives outside of Alabama.
Sollohub was pronounced brain dead Wednesday evening after being shot in the head while on a routine patrol in west Anniston.
After an intense manhunt involving several law enforcement agencies, a suspect, Joshua Russell, 25, was arrested in connection to the shooting. Russell was charged with attempted murder of Sollohub while he was still alive. Those charges will be upgraded to capital murder now that Sollohub has officially been declared dead.
Several fundraisers and donation sites have been organized by members of the Anniston community in honor of slain officer Sollohub.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Jubilee Joe's owner arrested on drug trafficking, money laundering charges
- Sister of woman killed after Iron Bowl party shooting speaks out
- Woman charged with murder in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting
- Victim identified in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting
- Hoover Police release more details in Saturday night's Ironbowl party shooting